Thursday, April 11, 2013

Best Job in the World: Chief Funster

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have applied for the Best Job in the World! It is a worldwide contest hosted by Tourism Australia. This is actually the second time Tourism Australia is hosting the event. Back in 2009, the event was hosted for the first time ever to promote tourism to the Great Barrier Reef. Brit Ben Southall won and his video isn't the highest quality, but it is definitely the most fun:

Ben actually did a really awesome job. So awesome, in fact, that Tourism Australia kept him on after his contract to be a "Tourism Ambassador" and he traveled all over Australia to promote the amazing travel opportunities there.

Funny thing is, I'm actually (sort of) connected to the 2009 Best Job in the World. In the fall of 2009, I took an internship in Paris with a small price comparison website Let's Buy It. They held a contest called the Second Best Job in the World, which would actually be the best job if you are a city slicker and hate the outdoors (especially since the Australian Best Job was on a remote island and you were expected to be outdoors all of the time!). The Second Best Job had one grand prize winner travel to 7 cities around the world in one month to test out the shopping waters and blog about it. You can check out the website here: http://job.letsbuyit.co.uk/

So, now Australia has round two. But this time it's event bigger and better: not one, but SIX job opportunities. The jobs are: Chief Funster, Outback Adventurer, Park Ranger, Wildlife Caretaker, Lifestyle Photographer, and Taste Master. While I know I am wayyyy more than qualified for Taste Master (this blog is evidence to the fact that I literally eat my way through cities), I decided to apply for Chief Funster. There isn't much in the job description, but I got the gist of it. A Chief Funster is actually an event blogger in Sydney; you will be expected to blog, tweet, and post about the VIP shows, concerts, and festivals that Tourism Australia sends you to. And since I already have experience with the other blog I co-own (Sensible Reason) in covering shows and festivals as well as artist relations, I figured Chief Funster would be a good fit:


So applicants had to submit a 30 second video by yesterday and on April 24, 2013 we will be notified of the top 25 applicants for each job. Just so you know, 40,000 people from around the globe applied! Whew! I have no clue how they plan to sort through that many videos and narrow it down to 25 in about 2 weeks. Definitely glad that is not a part of my job description-- haha!

If you like my video and have a Twitter account, please consider tweeting: @Tourismaus: Pick @kristengrennan #NYsChiefFunster for Sydney's #ChiefFunster #BestJobs

I will definitely keep you posted! I don't really think I'll win, but the contest is so fun! And the "job" is pretty epic as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment